Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Geocaching Adventure unfolds.

Let the Geocaching begin!!!


Easter Weekend was filled with some outdoor activities, one of note would be our geocaching adventure. It was a lot of fun but some disappointments awaited us during out search for these little hidden treasures.


It was a beautiful weekend! I couldn't have planned it better! My brother, his son, my son, my partner in crime and of course myself embarked our journey through the urban trenches. 


I laid down the rules of the game...go to the first geocache site first, once you find it, take a picture and go directly back to the base camp...in this case, base camp is the front porch of my humble abode. The one who wins gets, are you ready for it? Oh yeah, bragging rights! That's it folks! Don't expect anything fancy here! Just a good laugh, good exercise and a good time! 


So, once the rules were defined, we set off in two teams. Team one, my brother, his son and my son...my son is quite the navigator even though he's only 9. Team 2, my partner in crime and me.  


We followed the GPS on the iPhone and jogged to our first destination, lovingly named "Walk the dog" by the geocachers who placed it there. Let's just say, the name certainly fits the destination. The destination was snuggled in a small ravine on a slope behind a house. The vegetation was getting thick as spring has taken hold but not thick enough to provide a huge challenge. When we got to the location, behind the house, there were some dogs who lovingly made our presence known...so much for giving it away to Team 1! It took us probably 15 - 20 minutes to find this little container with a few little trinkets inside and a pen to scribble our named on quickly. 


As I'm writing our names, the pen surely did not want to write, Team 1 appears just as I'm tucking the container back into it's little tiny hiding place. Darn! Now they found it! I made it too easy for them. Had we been a few minutes faster we would have not given away the spot. That's ok though.


Team 2 (me and my partner in crime) headed back to base camp to link up and start to point 2, "The wall of green". We waited and waited only to find out that Team 1 went on to point 2 without coming to base camp. So, off we ran! 


As we were all looking forward to finding these geocaches we began to realize that the geocaches were not there. How is that possible?! Well, come to find out, the people who placed them there placed them where the landscapers would think it was garbage and throw it away. So off to point 3 we went...this point too ended in disappointment. There was no geocache there either...attack of the landscapers part 2! Both places had been neatly manicured and there was no sign of the geocache being there anymore. 


I have to say, even with 2 missing geocaches and a little miscommunication, we had a blast! We actually got in some good exercise and enjoyed our time together! 


Stay tuned for the rest of the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment