Friday, June 15, 2012

Moving Blues, I'm leaving NATO

If you are familiar with the way the U.S. Army operates, you'll know that most assignments are only 3 year postings. Well, unfortunately my posting to NATO has come to an end.


I heard a lot about NATO before I signed in there. Things like, Oh, it's a big vacation, you'll have time for relaxing and time off etc...WELLLLLL!!!! THAT WAS NOT THE CASE!
This is by far one of the most challenging jobs I've had with the Army. I have had 4 weeks off in 3 years! I have so much leave built up that I have to find a way to use it but moving to a new unit I won't get that chance any time soon!


I have to say thought, I'm one of the lucky few Army officers who have had an opportunity to work directly within a NATO command. Nope, I didn't go to Europe! I WISH! I've been trying to get to Europe for 16 years! So, I stayed in the U.S. as a NATO representative and a miniscule strand in the Trans Atlantic Link to Europe. I was at NATO Allied Command Transformation for the last three years. You're probably asking "What the heck is that?" well, honestly...it's too long to explain here but Google is an amazing tool!


This brings me to why I mention NATO. As an American, I was never really taught about NATO growing up. I knew what the acronym stood for, I knew it was founded in 1949, I knew it was an Alliance between nations to fight against communism etc...BUT...I didn't know exactly what it did and why it was important until after working here.


During my assignment I have been to many countries and had the opportunity to meet many different people from many different cultures. I feel honored to have met them and I am privileged to have had this opportunity. This was my first job as Public Affairs Officer, I was a Media Relations Officer and had to figure this out on my own. I didn't really have much help. When I started this job, I relied a lot on the Senior NCO's (they were all Navy) to help me learn about what is expected of a Public Affairs Officer at this level. I was a Signal Officer for crying out loud and I'm put at echelons above reality without experience except for DINFOS. I worked hard to try to learn and grasp my role and responsibilities but I had a lot of negative pressure from my supervisors. I was never given much guidance in this job, I was left to the wolves! So, here, it was literally...sink or swim. I eventually figured it out but not 100%. You never figure it out 100% in this job. I'm also learning about NATO as I go during this time and I'll tell ya, it's a very, very complex organization.


I dealt with media around the world and learned how to use the Department of Defense Pentagon Press Center, the Foreign Press Center, Contacting Embassies, Calling Ministries of Defense and reaching out to all types of media all around the world. I had no idea what I was doing but somehow, it all worked out. 


I enjoyed working with the international community outside my office. The officers and NCO's in the NATO ACT Headquarters made life in the cubicle a lot easier to manage and were so helpful and understanding. I'll never forget the ones who made me smile on a regular basis. Working with Generals and Colonels was a great experience too!


Through any military assignment, you make lifelong friends and I really hope I've made some here! I know a couple people who will remain a part of my life for many, many years. The unfortunate thing is...all good things must come to an end. When I leave, some of the friends from around the world will eventually move back to their countries and it will be harder to maintain that connection but, I hope they all know that they will never be far from my thoughts!


So, I'm leaving this great Alliance with an ache in my professional heart but, I also leave with a smile on my face...you know the old saying...Bitter-Sweet? It is, bitter-sweet because even though I'm sad to leave I'm excited to see what is in front of me and excited to gain more experience and at an operational level and not echelons above reality. Once I do this, I will be a more well rounded officer with a greater understanding of "WHY", why we do some of the most asinine things we are told to do in the military. This is very important for professional growth and wisdom.


Well, I'm heading out and it's become more real as the transportation company did the pre-move inspection of my belongings and I am selling off my things to help finance my move and shrink the amount of stuff I have. I have to go from a 2400 sq ft house to a 900 sq ft apartment so I have a lot of downsizing to do. I'm also left with renting my house for less than it is worth which is a bitter pill to swallow but I gotta do what I gotta do!


Anyway, I will soon pack up my house and move my belongings to the hills of Tennessee and Kentucky, Ft. Campbell here I come! I'm not sure that's an enthusiastic cry though! I still desire to get to Europe! I hope I get there!!!


Well, I also have to say I'm sad to leave this area of the country too. I will leave the ocean views, the friendly people my friends and...the East Coast :( I'm not happy about that! I feel at home here which is something I never felt in my 35.5 years of life. I never felt at home anywhere. I guess I never settled because I never liked where I lived growing up and I never wanted to stay. I wanted to move around, see the world, learn new things and explore but I also wanted a place to call home. Somewhere I could go back to and feel complete. Outside of how at home I feel in France (I love it in the countryside in France), I actually have this feeling here in Norfolk and Virginia Beach and I really don't want to leave it. Yes, sure, I can come back but I am not sure I will. I would love to live in Europe! Fingers crossed I get that chance.


Anyway, I'm a little blue these days because I'm leaving a place I can actually call home. The one thing I'm excited about is the fact that I will be able to ride my road bike without fear and I can run through many more forests and see many trees! I'll be able to enjoy my biggest hobby that I haven't enjoyed in a few years and that is running and exercising! I'm happy to be able to do the one thing that helps me clear my mind whenever I want! That's the one thing the Army is good at doing, and that... is allowing me to stay fit! 


So I'll probably give you some insight into my next job soon! I'm going to have a great time and learn new things and meet new people. 


My moving blues won't last long but there are few people I will take with me and keep in my life as I move to the next leg of my journey. They will know who they are!!


Stay tuned! I'll keep running around the world!

4 comments:

  1. Are you stuck with your assignment? Choosing the right assignment writing service makes all the difference. So if you don't want to compromise on your grades and want a high quality assignment help service at a reasonable price, just ping us and we will see to it that you come back to us for more.

    http://www.courseworkwriter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks john paul, I'm not in school anymore. I've gotten my MBA and I don't have any assignments. If you read my blog, the assignment is a military assignment, not a writing assignment but thank you for your offer!

    Best of luck in your business

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish you the best in your new ASSignment

    ReplyDelete