Thursday, March 22, 2012

Interval Training, Royal Marine Commando style!


Today started with an easy three miler! Spring is certainly in the air and with the pollen floating around, breathing was a bit difficult however, in the back of my mind I could hear the sound of Gloria Gaynor's "I will survive" song pushing me down the road!

As if running with the little pollen guys dancing in the sunlight wasn't enough torture, I decided to meet up with our Royal Marine Warrant Officer here to endure his physical fitness regimen. We did three rounds of 12 High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) stations. Push ups, V-ups, Sit ups, the mountain climber, the box jump, wall ball throws, jump rope, dips, shoulder press, lateral weight lifts, the superman, and the shuttle run. We did the first set for 30 seconds each followed by a large shuttle run session followed by a one minute water break, did it again at 25 seconds with picking each other up and doing a fireman carry across the gym floor. Then the last session was 20 seconds followed by sprints.

It was a brutal workout but a much needed workout...I once again felt that moment of power, I was invincible, I'm sure I will pay for it tomorrow morning when I head out on my run! Something about self-inflicted pain that gets me all motivated!

Hopefully I will survive the long run in the morning! I hope it does not rain too hard!

What types of workouts do you like? Any recommendations on what other types of training I can do? Maybe I'll give your workouts a try and see to what level I can get to!

I wanna hear from you!...

2 comments: